This healthy cranberry pie is the perfect Thanksgiving dessert. Researchers have found that eating one cup of cranberries per day could improve memory, ward off dementia, and reduce 'bad' cholesterol.
- 1 lb fresh cranberries
- 16 oz water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 9" pie shells uncooked
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake one pie shell for 10 minutes.
- In a suitable pot, cook the cranberries, water, syrup, cinnamon, ginger and salt over medium heat. Mash the cranberries while cooking until the filling thickens.
- Fill the partially baked pie shell with cranberry filling.
- Roll out the second pie shell and cut it into strips. Form a lattice over the top of the filled pie.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.