Applesauce with Ginger and Cinnamon
Cinnamon's antioxidant properties combine with the anti-inflammatory properties of ginger, making this dish a great way to boost your brain health.
- 6 Gala Apples peeled, cored,; reserving 1 cup of peelings
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 pint apple juice unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Champagne vinegar
- Enclose the reserved apple skins and cinnamon stick in a double thickness of cheesecloth and secure with twine.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook ginger and apples, stirring occasionally, until ginger is fragrant and apples begin to soften (about 3 minutes). Add the apple juice, vinegar and apple-skin sachet,increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer
- Turn down to a medium heat and maintain at a gentle simmer. Cook until apples are completely tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove and discard the sachet. Cool and puree in a blender until mixture is smooth.