Respite Care: A Much Needed Break
Respite Care Offers Relief, Renewal, and Healing
Caregiving can be a highly demanding and stressful responsibility, and no one is equipped to do it without some help. Just like the loved ones they care for, caregivers also need support and attention to maintain their own health and well-being. Respite care, which provides caregivers with the opportunity for a temporary rest from their caregiving duties, is designed to do just that.
Respite care for loved ones provides short-term breaks for caregivers that can relieve their stress, renew their energy and restore a sense of balance to their lives. Respite care provides a period of freedom from caregiving duties, while loved ones continue to receive the care they require in a safe, caring and professional environment.
Caring for a loved one at home can be rewarding, but at times it can also be very challenging. At Kemper House, understand the difficulties that can arise when caring for a loved one at home. We also understand that there are times that you won’t be available for your loved one due to vacations, business trips or just the need for a personal break.
Respite care provides family caregivers and their loved ones with a break from the daily care routine. Caregivers are afforded some down time and can rest easy, while loved ones benefit from the care and support provided in a safe, nurturing environment. Respite care allows the caregiver time to heal from the stress of caregiving, so they can return refreshed and rejuvenated and ready to provide the best care you can to your lived one.
The Multiple Benefits of Respite Care
Personal support and maintaining your own health are essential to managing your responsibilities as a caregiver. Utilizing respite care before you become exhausted, isolated or overwhelmed can be invaluable to everyone concerned. Experts say that simply anticipating regularly scheduled relief can be an emotional lifesaver.
In addition to needed “downtime” for relaxation, respite care gives you a chance for personal revitalization by spending time with friends and family, shopping, exercising and doing the things that provide you with personal pleasure and fulfillment in your life. Respite care also offers the comfort and peace of mind of knowing that your loved one is spending time with other caring individuals in a safe, comfortable place. This list was taken from Consumer Affairs and lists the benefits of a short-term respite stay:
- Renewal, Rejuvenating, Relaxation, and Healing – Taking a walk, strolling leisurely through the mall, visiting a museum or doing whatever brings joy can calm you, decrease your heart rate and improve your mood.
- Energy – To be effective in your busy life, you must take time to re-energize. Even an automobile won’t run on empty.
- Space – Getting away from the caregiving situation for even just a few hours can help you relax and bring a renewed sense of purpose.
- Pleasure – As a caregiver, you must remember that you have the right to enjoy life. You have no reason to feel guilty.
- Identity – You must be purposeful in maintaining your sense of self. You are important, too!
- Perspective – Time away from caregiving allows you to see more clearly and keep things in proper perspective. You might even think of better ways of doing things and other resources you can tap into.
- Engagement – Social isolation can be a huge problem for caregivers. It’s important to take time to engage with your friends and family by sharing lunch, taking a shopping trip or doing whatever gives you personal enjoyment.
A Much Needed Break
Be realistic — for your sake and your loved one’s. Seeking help is so very important.. Respite care can provide you with a feeling of revitalization and refreshment that can keep you whole – physically and mentally – and enable you to better spouse, parent, caregiver and person.
Conveniently located in Strongsville, Ohio and Highland Heights, Ohio just minutes from beautiful Cleveland, Ohio and Lake Erie, Kemper House is completely dedicated to providing exceptional care and services for those living with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. We are a family owned and operated memory care facility that specializes in caring for individuals with all stages and all types of Alzheimer’s disease and related memory impairments -up to and including end of life and hospice care.
Kemper House offers a range of services including long-term residential Alzheimer’s care, short-term respite stays, and Adult day care in a small intimate setting that is warm, welcoming, and nurturing.
For more information on Kemper House, call or email us at email@example.com
Kemper House Strongsville 10890 Prospect Road Strongsville, Ohio (440) 846-1100
Kemper House Highland Heights 407 Golf View Lane Highland Heights, Ohio (440) 461-0600